EFL Teaching
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Class on July 6

+13
Anayeli
myscene contreras
Yessica Navarro
danni rotten
3dWyNN
janette monroy
pat0o0tabares
Pichys Alonso
Lalo Posadas
Estrada Mendoza Yazmin
saulmexique
Charles chuy García M
Admin
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Class on July 6 Empty Class on July 6

Post  Admin Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi everyone,

Here we are going to share the experience you had by observing the lesson I taught to sports students on July 6. I need you to express your ideas and to share some references you may have. Remember we have to use facts as well.

Greetings,

Juan Javier

Admin
Admin

https://eflteaching.activo.mx

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty Re: Class on July 6

Post  Charles chuy García M Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:16 pm

i think there's a lot of good things we can learn from, it was great, we could realize what are the commonest problems of the students

I think there's a lot of good things we can learn from. Observing the class was such a great experience because we could realize what the students' commonest problems are.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Puntuation and grammar-syntax issues.)
Charles chuy García M
Charles chuy García M

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty Way to go Chuy!

Post  Admin Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi there, Chuy!

I'm glad you made it to the forum! You'll see this is such a great opportunity to share knowledge and learn from each one. As I mentioned in class, I'm going to check the way you write; so this is an academic assignment. Therefore it has to be written in formal register because this is to be shared with the academic community.
Keep working as you have up to now.

Regards,

JJ

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charles chuy García M Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:28 pm

thank you very much
Charles chuy García M
Charles chuy García M

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty Saúl Opinion

Post  saulmexique Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Hello, Chuy!

I am sure that with these kind of exercises we will improve a lot regarding ESL. As I mentioned before in class, the sports
I am that with this kind of exercises As I mentioned in class before,

group was so tense, nervous and uncomfortable; nonetheless, they tried to do every exercise and overcome the situation.
the sports class was so tense, . . . they tried to do every exercise and overcame the situation.

I was able to notice the influence of the ‘Affective Filter’ (Krashen) on them; they were worry about us laughing at them
they were worried about . . .
or think that they are not good enough for speaking English. So, their Affective Filter was way too elevated.
or thinking thet they were not . . .
What I recommend is to make them feel confidence and comfortable and not have so many people observing them. ... feel confident and comfortable

Last edited by Admin on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar-syntax problems.)

saulmexique

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty Saúl's Opinion

Post  Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Saul,

Thank you very much for your participation. I think it is a good start; however, it is necessary for you to include information on Krashen's Affective Filter Theory. You must include a quotation from the Theory and indicate where you found the information so it can be valid for our purposes.
Furthermore, you mentioned students' Affective Filter was too high; what do you support your statement on? It is necessary for you to further develop why and on what basis you are stating such a comment. Remember I taught you you have to use facts as support for your opinions or points of view. Work hard on this aspect, please and you will succeed!!!

Regards,

Juan Javier Bautista

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Estrada Mendoza Yazmin Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:46 pm

I think that class was very complete and it was based on direct method or natural method which helps us to be in direct contact with the foreigner language in this case the language is English and is able to develop the skills necessary for prompt and effective learning skills were speaking , writing, grammar, help us of student/teacher interaction as well as teaching materials (images, audio, etc) which help us to enter into a real context, similar to the English, although I am Saul according to the affective filter of the partners was very high because maybe they did not feel confident and it did not help to fully develop the English class

http://cvc.cervantes.es/ensenanza/biblioteca_ele/diccio_ele/diccionario/enfoquenatural.htm

Estrada Mendoza Yazmin

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty What I saw...

Post  Lalo Posadas Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:54 pm

Hello everyone.
First of all, I would like to say that it was a good way to learn from others, and for that people in Sports Major was a good way to practice. It is a clever idea, maybe it would be good to do it again.
The steps that I could identify during the session were 4:
1.-Allocation of a visual meaning for the topic (use of drawings in the slides)
2.-Examples of the use of the structure (when the teacher asked the students "what are you doing this weekend?" or something like that, and they answered)
3.-Explanation of the grammar (when the teacher showed the structure of the sentence)
4.-Practice drill (the moment when we started to practice orally).
The way the class was presented is an effective method to achieve an effective Acquisition (Krashen, 1982) of a second language. According to Krashen, "language acquirers are not usually aware of the fact that they are acquiring language, but are only aware of the fact that they are using the language for communication". It is true that students are aware that they are learning (not acquiring) from the very moment they enter in the classroom; however, this 4-steps scheme (mainly the 4th step) is a very good effort in order to get this objective done.

Source: http://www.sdkrashen.com/Principles_and_Practice/index.html

Thank you.
Lalo Posadas
Lalo Posadas

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty CHUY'S OPINION

Post  Charles chuy García M Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:34 pm

As I said in my first entry, that class was an interesting experience, and I think all my classmates who want to be teachers enjoyed it and learned from.

Now, one of the activities of the class I saw and I want to coment is the speaking, when the sport students practiced with us, and as Saul said and I did, they were nervous and unconfortable, there are a lot of reason they were that way, but it could be because they felt we have a different level, although it is also possible they didn't undertand the topic, this is an important part of the learnig process, the teacher has to provide them with different tools, and simulate the activity is useful for their lives, and practicing as a normal situation outside the classroom.

However, once they have learn the topic, the teacher have to search a goal for the activity, give them the vocabulary they need and one of the most important allow the students work at their own level, all of this in order to get better results. I could realized some of these steps were used in the class.

http://www.nclrc.org/essentials/speaking/developspeak.htm

thank you very much for this forum teacher I hope we can learn so much. lol!
Charles chuy García M
Charles chuy García M

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty Sports' English Class!!!!

Post  Pichys Alonso Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Into the Sports' English class that we observed last week, there was missing motivation, but, remember that we have 2 different kind of motivations, one is INTEGRATIVE MOTIVATION, who is based on interest in learning a second language and to associate with people who use it, and the other is, INSTRUMENTAL MOTIVATION, which is involved in learning a L2 just to business opportunities or just to pass a course in the school. So, according to what I looked at in the class, there was missing INSTRUMENTAL MOTIVATION, any student is interested to learn a L2, so that's why most of the times, the class could be bored or difficult.

Ref: Introducing Second Language Acquisition by Muriel Saville Troike (Cambridge Introductions to Language and Linguistics).
Pichys Alonso
Pichys Alonso

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty affective filter

Post  pat0o0tabares Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm agree with you dear Saul
I believe that this exercise we help us to observed some problems, when the people learn a second languages, one of them is the affective filter.
the affective filter was proposed by Krashen in this theory he said, when the affective filter is up, the students has difficulty learning other language. some reasons that causes that the affective filter is high. they are: some problems in their family, the stress or they don't like the language.
one of the principal causes and more common that the affective filter is high, is they feel afraid to speak because the think Why am I speaking as if I don't know what I am talking about?" and they think the other students could laugh of them.
the students can learn more easy if their affective filter is down the student will learn more fast and he don`t have a lot problems in the learning process.
Is very important to know about the principal problems when the people learning other languages, because we can correct the problem and it will be easier to learn, and we can prevent our affective filter will be high.

http://www.eldstrategies.com/affectivefilter.html

atte, tabares (duck) pale Laughing study

pat0o0tabares

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty english class

Post  janette monroy Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Hello

I will beginning to talk about the theory and methods of the natural approach to language acquisition in the classroom . The natural approach is based on the theory that language acquisition occurs only when students receive comprehensible input as in the last class.They saw different slides and each one contained the five hablilities: Speaking, reading, listening, writing, and finally understand.
the teacher explained very good the usage of future structure, so they could receive the information in the correct way.They reaffirmed the knowledge practicing a conversatios with us but they didn´t feel confortable with LIDIO´s observation. they felt insecure to make a mistake because of us. Krashen explains this in his theory of affective filter.

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=ED230069&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED230069

janette monroy

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty EDWIN

Post  3dWyNN Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:44 pm

I think that class was based on natural method jaja... and input theory
this method is used for prompt learning
the themes most common of this method are
grammar
writing
speaking
some teaching materials used in class were videos and audios

•videos help because that many of us are visual and the audios is used to listen and repeat
the theory which I identify my conclision is the input (krashen)
but because of the students shame no feel confident and it did not understand the topics.

http://jlcabello.wordpress.com/2007/04/04/teorias-de-adquisicion-de-segundas-lenguas/

3dWyNN

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty Oh yes, i think ...

Post  danni rotten Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

How´s everything !!
Well that class was interesting , so i talked to a boy , he´s got many problems when he´s talking ´cause he talked to me "Oh i don´t like English so i don´t undertand it .. " So i understand him , cause if don´t like you anything (english in this case) so you can never undersantd it ... Many people don´t undertand it and i think we must study Applied Lingusistics , but is most important understand it and to analize it ... it´s a great idea , isn´t it ??? . When you´re studing something you must love it ... cause you´ll have got may problems ... of course

bye - bye !! Cool

danni rotten

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty xD

Post  danni rotten Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:28 pm

oH .. yes i ´ve forgiven ... many things about the infirmation , mmm well i´ve read that information in Abner copies ... i´ve got them yet !!

danni rotten

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty class

Post  Yessica Navarro Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:34 pm

I THINK THAT THE OTHER GROUP WAS UNCOMFORTABLE AND VERY RESTLESS; WITH REGARD TO THAT CLASS I THINK THAT THE STUDENTS APPLIED THE "BEHAVIORISM" BECAUSE THE BEHAVIORISM SAYS THAT THE PEOPLE LEARN ACROSS TO INTERACTIONS, BUT IN THIS CASE THEY JUST INTERACTING FOR A MOMENT. THEY CAN TO LISTEN, TO WRITE AND TALK.
VIGOTSKY SAYS THAT THE BEHAVIORISM IN THE SECOND LANGUAGE IS THE INTERACTION BETWEEN THE INNATE ABILITY OF HUMANS TO LANGUAGE AND LINGUISTIC DATA THAT THE STUDENT IN MEANINGFUL COMMUNICATIVE EXCHANGES IN WICH IT PARTICIPATES.
IN MY OPINION WAS A GOOD CLAS WITH A LOT OF ASPECTS THAT THE STUDENTS NEED T
O DEVELOPMENT
tongue

Yessica Navarro

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty Your comments

Post  Admin Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi everyone,

It is 9:45 at night and I have read all posts up to now. Some of your contributions are on the right track; however, it is sad to realized many of you are not doing the revising phase from the writing process. It is very disappointing to find out that you have very basic mistakes. Unfortunately, some of you are not improving on your writing in English, I would rather say you are going backwards.
Including a link to search for information is not enough, you have to make it clear you have read such information and that you understood it. Please, work over your posts and try to make better contributions to this forum.

Way to go, people!!!

Keep the good work!!!

Regards,

Juan Javier Bautista

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty English Class

Post  myscene contreras Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 pm

The English class to sports students was interesting for me, and I could see that to students the class was boring, they don´t pay attention and the language don´t like them. This explain why students often seem undisiciplined, disrespectful and uncooperative in the classroom. The acquisition second language depend too much factors, the most important from my point of view would be "Emotional Filter", purported by Krashen at 1982. Krashen says that when the learner´s emotional filter is hight it produces a mental block taht obstruct the student to continue in the process in a satisfactory way of the input meanwhile it doesn´t produce the acquisition, for example, the teenagers could get the feeling of embarrassment or rejection to try reproducing sounds very different, because of the habitual as well as they don´t have interest in the language. It is important to create a situation in the classroom free of tensions and to know news techniques and methods to learn a new language. If the teacher would employ more techniques and not oly a book, to learn English would be easy and funny. Razz

http://www.sk.com.br/sk-krash.html

http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/rw/krashenbk.htm

myscene contreras

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty Theories to teach better

Post  Anayeli Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:35 am

theories to teach better

The English class of students in sports was interesting for me because I noticed that several students of that race do not like the language, but to better understand the situation that for some students the class is so boring we see that there are several theories help us understand behavior the students to have a new understanding

However, I believe that Watson's theory is very important in the learning of students because we all need encouragement to do things in the case of stimulus-response theory. The teacher should give them a job they like and stimulate interest in the matter and so they can respond in a favorable. Would be very interesting to apply this theory to further stimulate learning as Watson says in his theory.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8081856_theories-stimulus-response.html

Anayeli

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty We all agree...

Post  Lalo Posadas Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:20 pm

janette monroy wrote:Hello

I will beginning to talk about the theory and methods of the natural approach to language acquisition in the classroom . The natural approach is based on the theory that language acquisition occurs only when students receive comprehensible input as in the last class.They saw different slides and each one contained the five hablilities: Speaking, reading, listening, writing, and finally understand.
the teacher explained very good the usage of future structure, so they could receive the information in the correct way.They reaffirmed the knowledge practicing a conversatios with us but they didn´t feel confortable with LIDIO´s observation. they felt insecure to make a mistake because of us. Krashen explains this in his theory of affective filter.

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=ED230069&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED230069

Yes, you are right Janete. Many of us agree that those people in Sports class were very insecure when they talked with Languages students. As Chuy said above, they think that we are "advanced speakers" so their affective filter rises. According to this theory (as it is been mentioned several times here), "Performers with high motivation generally do better in second language acquisition" (Krashen, 1982). What do we need to know that? To make them feel more confident about themselves; this is the way that we will get that filter lower. As future teachers, this is a task that we must have in mind.
Lalo Posadas
Lalo Posadas

Back to top Go down

Post  Estrada Mendoza Yazmin Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm

I agree with Pichis ther5e is a factor that is very important for learning a second language which we call motivation it is very important that the students find a taste for the second language that they will learn in this case is English and not see this language as required more in his career.

To achieve the interest in learning the L2 is important the support of the teacher and classmates through activities such as having a well structured class where topics of interest to see where there are also clear and communicative activities is also important that the teacher knows the student identify the self-esteem to learn how to do all that I mentioned earlier

http://educarparalavida.com/2010/04/la-motivacion-en-la-ensenanza/ study

Estrada Mendoza Yazmin

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty THE CLASS ON JULY 6

Post  Camacho Ana Edith Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:19 pm

HELLO EVERYONE.

The class on July 6 was very important and interesting to me because the teacher began his class with an introduction about the topic and he used many slides for a better knownledge with these slides he explained the future. The mos important he developed the four language skills. The students made differents activities as a short conversation with us. I observed what they were a bit nervous because did not stay in their classroom and they felt observing for us.
But the important was the didactic materials. Now, these materials have helped to teachers to teach better. Some resources for english learning are the computer, cds,films, books, etc.
Thanks.
http://www.wikilearning.com/curso_gratis/didactica_del_ingles-didactics_and_the_teaching_of_english_as_a_foreign_language/26563-2

Camacho Ana Edith

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty HELLO LUPITA.

Post  Camacho Ana Edith Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:36 pm

I am to agree with you because the students need to have a good mood for example the teachers need to encourage their students because a good class begin with a good communication between teachers and students. They not feel safe when they learn a new language. Krashen's theory said learners with high motivation can learn quickly a second language, but he considered what the grammar was very essencial, too. Nowadays, when students learning that language first they need to have a good teacher who inpires confience for a better language acquisition and first they need to use essential grammar for can speak with their classmates inside class.
Thanks.

Camacho Ana Edith

Back to top Go down

Class on July 6 Empty Chuy's

Post  Charles chuy García M Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Estrada Mendoza Yazmin wrote:I agree with Pichis ther5e is a factor that is very important for learning a second language which we call motivation it is very important that the students find a taste for the second language that they will learn in this case is English and not see this language as required more in his career.

To achieve the interest in learning the L2 is important the support of the teacher and classmates through activities such as having a well structured class where topics of interest to see where there are also clear and communicative activities is also important that the teacher knows the student identify the self-esteem to learn how to do all that I mentioned earlier

http://educarparalavida.com/2010/04/la-motivacion-en-la-ensenanza/ study

Hello everybody!

I'm glad because I have the opportunity to write down again in this amazing website.

I want to talk about a comment which my partner Yaz support, this coment was from Ricardo. He wrote about a very important topic, wich is Motivation, and he told us about instrumental and integrative motivation, but when I was lookin the source of that comment, I realized Yaz gave us another link, I read it and saw there is not just 2 motivation there are 4 kinds of motivation the 2 which Ricardo told us about and also Internal and External motivation.

Internal motivation means the wish for the student to know about whatever, it is not just for the language. It is for everything the student want to know, meanwhile External motivation appears when the student creats him or herself a motivation, that meas he or she is just studying for get a grade or for pass an exam.

And according to the link I going to leave at the end of my comment, most of the students and people in general have an External motivation, they just want to get something and it is not important at all, they get some knowlange.

I hope I can get some critics about this comment,

Thaks a lot rabbit

http://educarparalavida.com/2010/04/la-motivacion-en-la-ensenanza/

http://en.articlesgratuits.com/external-motivation-id2283.php
Charles chuy García M
Charles chuy García M

Back to top Go down

Post  Pichys Alonso Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm

myscene contreras wrote:The English class to sports students was interesting for me, and I could see that to students the class was boring, they don´t pay attention and the language don´t like them. This explain why students often seem undisiciplined, disrespectful and uncooperative in the classroom. The acquisition second language depend too much factors, the most important from my point of view would be "Emotional Filter", purported by Krashen at 1982. Krashen says that when the learner´s emotional filter is hight it produces a mental block taht obstruct the student to continue in the process in a satisfactory way of the input meanwhile it doesn´t produce the acquisition, for example, the teenagers could get the feeling of embarrassment or rejection to try reproducing sounds very different, because of the habitual as well as they don´t have interest in the language. It is important to create a situation in the classroom free of tensions and to know news techniques and methods to learn a new language. If the teacher would employ more techniques and not oly a book, to learn English would be easy and funny. Razz

http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/rw/krashenbk.htm

According to Maetzin's post, is almost the same that I wrote, but she says "Emotional Filter", and I name that like "Instrumental Motivation". And as I explained above, Instrumental Motivation refers to student or person who study a L2 just to pass a curse or to a business opportunities. Another important factor that we have to take acount, is "Personality" and this factor depends of the student!!.

Ref:Introducing Second Language Acquisition by Muriel Saville Troike (Cambridge Introductions to Language and Linguistics)
Pichys Alonso
Pichys Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next