EFL Teaching
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When and How did the Natural Method start?

+12
pat0o0tabares
Nayely
mendez victor
3dWyNN
Charles chuy García M
Camacho Ana Edith
myscene contreras
Estrada Mendoza Yazmin
janette monroy
danni rotten
Lalo Posadas
Admin
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty When and How did the Natural Method start?

Post  Admin Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi everyone again!!!!

New topic to discuss on this forum. This time we are going to focus on the so "famous" Natural Method. We are going to try to get all the information we can on the topic so we know how this method works. Please, remember it is necessary for you to look for your sources of information and share them with us.
A remimder: you can not post new topics, you can only post comments or posts.

Regards,

Juan Javier

Admin
Admin

https://eflteaching.activo.mx

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty Re: When and How did the Natural Method start?

Post  Lalo Posadas Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Hello everyone!
The Natural Aproach, is one of the most famous methods in second language teaching. Developed by Terrel, it is mainly a method came from Krashen's theories. Although it began to be developped in the late 70, and published in a book (The Natural Approach: Language Acquisition in the Classroom) in 1983, it is one of the newest methods and it is widely used in ELT.
It started when Tracy Terrell, who was a teacher of Spanish proposed the usage of "naturalistic" features identifided by researchers in studies of second language acquisition. Some time after, Terrell began to work with Stephen Krashen in the theoretical development of the method. It is based in the research by Terrell; however, the most of the theoretical features comes from Krashen's model (Monitor hypothesis, Imput hypothesis, affective filter, etc.) The Natural Aproach states that, in order to acquire a second language, teachers must focus on the use of language in communicative situations, and the native language must not be used. They must give more importance to the oral and communicative performance, rather than grammar or structures. It is clearly an expression of what is called Learning-Acquisition theory by Krashen.

Source:
http://www2.vobs.at/ludescher/Alternative%20methods/natural_approach.htm

Take Care!
Be good! study
Lalo Posadas
Lalo Posadas

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty More about Natural / Direct Method

Post  danni rotten Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:11 pm

" The Direct Method, also called the Natural Approach, developed towards the end of the 19th century. It represents are critical reaction to the teaching methods of the ancient Grammar Translation Method which produced knowledge about language rather than knowledge of language. The general goal of the Direct Method is to provide learners with a practically useful knowledge of language. They should learn to speak and understand the target language in everyday situations. "
It is a little about The Natural Method. As we know this method is based in:
- Exclusive use of the second language ( in this case English )
- Importance in second language pronunciation and writing
- Oral understanding and Oral expression.
I ´ve written just three importants points about this method. So with those ideas we can to know more about Natural method . So is important to know about it because we need to know about this method : How we can to developement it ?, How we can use it ? , Who invented it ?, Does it has good points in Second Laguage Adquisition ?.If you want to know more about this , this is the link Ok

( http://www2.uni-wuppertal.de/FB4/anglistik/multhaup/methods_elt/4_direct_method.htm )

See you !! cyclops

danni rotten

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty the natural method

Post  janette monroy Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:27 pm

The theory and methods of the natural approach to language acquisition in the classroom are described. The natural approach is based on the theory that language acquisition occurs only when students receive comprehensible input. The emphasis is on reading and listening comprehension for beginning students. Curriculum organization, classroom activities, management of classroom activities, the role of reading in the natural approach, homework, vocabulary, and error correction are also discussed.As tracy David said that we have to interactive with native speakers for learn to speak in the same way they do.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/326936

janette monroy

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty natural method

Post  Estrada Mendoza Yazmin Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:47 pm

I again reviewing the natural method or also called direct method, which as I mentioned is a method that creates a real context or similar to the L2 and is based mainly on oral expression and prevents many errors that is to say if the teacher note that there is some kind of error when the student speak, he must correct to avoid that this becomes a habit (error fossilized).
Although this method also helps others as behaviorism and the audio-lingual method through stimulation given to him through certain materials such as images and audio

www.encuentrojournal.org/textos/11.15.pdf queen

Estrada Mendoza Yazmin

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty Natural Method

Post  myscene contreras Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Today I talking about The Natural Method so I searched this information about this topic, I hope that can help them.
"The proposal is a natural approach to language teaching that incorporates the principles identified in naturalistic studies of second language acquisition. Learning is posed by using the target language in communicative situations without resorting to the first language or grammatical analysis. This approach attaches particular importance to understanding and communicating the meaning of statements and promotes the creation of a suitable learning environment in the classroom to produce successfully acquiring a second language".This proposal was presented by T. Terrell in 1977 from his experience as a Spanish teacher in California. T. Terrell and S. Krashen, the natural approach to communication attributes the most important function of language and, consequently, focuses on teaching communication skills. The natural approach requires the teacher a central role to a greater extent than other methods of communication. "The teacher has three main functions: the main source of adduct understandable in the target language, for which it must generate a steady stream of input language and provide a variety of extralinguistic support to facilitate the interpretation, creates a classroom environment interesting and relaxed, which ensures a low affective filter for learning and is responsible for selecting and organizing various activities and adapted to the contents and contexts, choosing to do the right material to the needs and interests of students".
If they wish know more information, look this page. Good Afternoon and Good luck!! Razz

http://cvc.cervantes.es/ensenanza/biblioteca_ele/diccio_ele/diccionario/enfoquenatural.htm

myscene contreras

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty HELLO EVERYONE.

Post  Camacho Ana Edith Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:43 pm

The natural method arose from the professor Tracy Terrell en1977. Which carries out a book with Stephen Krashen and they used this method for learning English language. This method is based on principles is natural language in communicative. It also focuses on communication approaches are developed every day. When directed by Prof. supplied then the grammar rules for a better learning this is called learning, and and is called acquisition when learning in a natural way into the environment. For example a baby acquires net language to live with their parents without grammatical rules.

Camacho Ana Edith

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty CHUY'S OPINION

Post  Charles chuy García M Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Well, I am again here.

This time we have to talk about Natural Approach, I found a website which explains to us a lot of detalis.

This Appoach was developed by Tracy Terrell and Stephen Krashen in 1977, and it says the studens have to develop an hability to talk before writing or using correctly grammar, the students are taught to speak in an "unconscious way", they have a monitor (teacher) who corrects them, the grammar structures are taught in a different order, and a very important aspect is that students just speak when they are ready.

I can see this topic will give us a lot of information and many topics for discuss about.

take care!!!

never give up!

albino
Charles chuy García M
Charles chuy García M

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty NATURAL METHOD

Post  3dWyNN Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:50 pm

edwin quintero saldivar
july 29,2011

the students have to develop an hability to talk before writing or using grammar, are taught to speak in an unconscious way the grammar structures are taught in a different order,agree with jessy I think that the acquisition is an unconscious process developed through using language and is different from language learning that is a learning or discovering rules of language .

3dWyNN

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty NATURAL APPROACH

Post  Camacho Ana Edith Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:14 pm

HELLO EVERYONE.
Language skills are based on oral, written, listening and reading each of these must be developed step by step. Therefore the speaker has to carry out the natural abilities of the method will mention below. On the other hand my partner mentioned several factors Maetzin direct method, but I think you need to add two very important concepts and definition.The first is the Acquisitions, which is that the learner creates his own mental structures to communicate in their environment. The second is learning, which is acquired through the correction of errors that are carried by the teacher. It is noteworthy that other factors will mention below:
1. Hypothesis monitor that is the knowledge of grammar.
2. Natural order hypothesis is when learners acquire grammar but in an orderly fashion.
3. Hypothesis that comprehensible input is the input of information in a proper and orderly way.
4. Filter hypothesis is that learners are motivated by the teacher and themselves for a better value.
It is also important to use materials for better oral and written expression. The effort must be carried out by learners of L2.
I believe that the information Maetzin is very complete and it allowed me to better understand the direct method.
Thank you.
The adress is the source of information that Maetzin.

Camacho Ana Edith

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty Chuy's

Post  Charles chuy García M Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 pm

I am so glad to be here again.

I going to talk about the Natural approac also known as Reform Method, Natural Method, Phonetical Method, Anti-grammatical Method or natural approach.

But, What is the real name? In fact, this approach stablishes many aspects which are important for our proposal. First of all, the approach is based on:

1. The learner has to speak
2. Natural way means the learner never realizes (s)he is learning a FL or SL
3. Words must be taught until the learner knows how to pronunce them
4. Writing should be taught until (s)he knows the words and how to write them of course
5. grammar and traslation are not good tools, because the students mix them with their own L1
6. It is an error to give them vocabulary list, they never learn them in a good way, they never how to use them, and that is why the forget them.

Also, this method says the L1 learner never relizes (s)he is learning something important, and he only use it when he needs it, different from a L2 learner who is studying for a purpose, (s) he creates a necessity something what I agree.

I know the teacher is going to ask me about this entry. lol!

see u, take care, never give up!!

http://www.aber.ac.uk/~mflwww/seclangacq/langteach5.html
Charles chuy García M
Charles chuy García M

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty NATURAL METHOD

Post  3dWyNN Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:32 am

EDWIN QUINTERO SALDIVAR
JULY 31, 2011

The natural approach is based on the theory of language acquisition occurs only when students receive comprehensible input, in this method we never using a bok of grammar structures, because the learning is natural and develops through in the comunication we have to interact with native speakers for learn to speak in the same way they do, if we want to learn a second language we need to use songs, images, videos of nativos speaking in the language we want to learn. because can learn faster and pronunciation is better.

http://udea.edu.co/lms/moodle/file.php/85/tema3/Reflexiones_sobre_el_modelo_de_adquisicion_de_L2.pdf

3dWyNN

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty direct method or natural aproach

Post  mendez victor Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:21 pm

hello everyone
I'm going to mention the following:
I'm agree with the idea that the natural aproach doesn't need to develops with instruments that are behaviorism's resources because, as I mentioned before one of the objectives of the direct method is to develop the oral comunication with real situatons but one of the principal problems of this method is that the use of the mother language is eliminated in a progressive form.
for more information the link is the following:
http://www.bvs.sld.cu/revistas/revistahm/numeros/2002/n4/body/hmc050102.htm

mendez victor

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty chuy

Post  Charles chuy García M Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:32 pm

This time, I will continue talking about the website I gave you last time. This page gives to us some disadvantages about the direct method and some of them are:
1. The learner has already learned another language before the L2, and it is a problem because he involves his L1 with the new language.
2. The learner knows everything has a name so it is difficult to create another input for call things.
3. Talking about pronunciation, the learner has to integrate the new word with the object which he had given a name. That means he has to forget the name for the things in his L1 and gives them the new term in the L2
I hope you to understand me if not we can discuss about this in class.
Thanx, take care, never give up!!!

jocolor

http://www.aber.ac.uk/~mflwww/seclangacq/langteach5.html
Charles chuy García M
Charles chuy García M

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty NATURAL APPOACH.

Post  Camacho Ana Edith Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:35 pm

HELLO EVERYONE.
The natural approach is based in the communication. For example children acquiring language very easily, because your brain is like a sponge, which allows them to acquire language in a straightforward way as they do their native language. Adults already acquired and learn the language that we need to communicate in our environment and we must carry out the five points I mentioned in my previous comment. I believe we need to put much effort on our part to learn an L2.
Good bye.
http://cehs.unl.edu/eurasiane07/TEA2008Fall/CD/LanguageAcquisition%20&%20Workshop/ParticipantsCD/History%20of%20Methodology/Natural%20Approach.pdf

Camacho Ana Edith

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty The real "monitor"

Post  Lalo Posadas Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Charles chuy García M wrote:Well, I am again here.

This time we have to talk about Natural Approach, I found a website which explains to us a lot of detalis.

This Appoach was developed by Tracy Terrell and Stephen Krashen in 1977, and it says the studens have to develop an hability to talk before writing or using correctly grammar, the students are taught to speak in an "unconscious way", they have a monitor (teacher) who corrects them, the grammar structures are taught in a different order, and a very important aspect is that students just speak when they are ready.

I can see this topic will give us a lot of information and many topics for discuss about.

take care!!!

never give up!

albino

Hello man.
Chuy, I think there is something wrong with your contribution right here: You said that the "monitor" is the teacher, ready to correct students as they make errors (or even mistakes, I do not know); however, what I know about it is that the real "monitor" is in fact the own student's previous knowledge about the language. They use this knowledge, to "check" their language productions while they speak. So do not get confused boy. Cool
Regards.

Oh! My source, if I not post it, the teacher is going to get mad.

http://www.sdkrashen.com/Principles_and_Practice/index.html (chapter 2, page 15-16).
Lalo Posadas
Lalo Posadas

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty DIRECT METHOD

Post  3dWyNN Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:08 pm

EDWIN QUINTERO SALDIVAR
AUGUST 02,2011

The direct method is to establish a direct association between the words and phrases with objects and actions to determine the semantic meaning of objects, I think this method is about teaching a second language through the actions, gestures, pictures or direct association with the same objects and thus easier to introduce the meaning of what you want to teach.
http://www.uam.es/personal_pdi/stmaria/bmangada/ense%F1anza%20lenguas%20extranjeras.pdf

3dWyNN

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty Direct Method

Post  Nayely Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Hello Everyone.

today we are going to know the direct method firstable we know that the natural method and the direct method is the same. The Direct Methos is also known as "Reform Method", "Natural Method" "Phonetical Method", it was the outcome of a reaction against the Grammar Translation Method.
The comparisons betwen this methos and The Grammar Translation Method because here . teaches the language by ‘rule’ and not by ‘use and in the Direct methos is contrary .
But in this methos we know that it have a disadvantages for example, this method have Major fallacy of Direct Method was belief that second language should be learned in way in which first language was acquired - by total immersion technique. But obviously far less time and opportunity in schools, compared with small child learning his mother tongue. This example is to mean that applying the direct method we need to be with native all the time and start to speak after listening to it in a class salion this is limited. But if you want to know more about this you can visit the following thew diferetns links.....
See you

http://purwarno-linguistics.blogspot.com/2006/01/direct-method.html
http://www2.vobs.at/ludescher/Alternative%20methods/direct_method.htm

Nayely

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty teory of "Monitor"

Post  mendez victor Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:13 pm

hello everyone
I like to mention the following:
the teory of the monitor as we know was developed by Krashen as one of his teories for to explain the forms of learning a second language. the monitor teory says that the acquisition and the lerning are used on the production of the second language where the learning is the monitor and the subject can analyze his mistakes

the link is the following
http://www.fchst.unlpam.edu.ar/iciels/164.pdf

mendez victor

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty direc method

Post  pat0o0tabares Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Is important to know about the method direct, but also we need other topic about the acquisition of a second languages. for example the Psycholinguistics; the psycholinguistics is the science that study the process of acquisition of a second languages, but takes account the part psychology of the human.
The psycholinguistics explain us about the languages processing, this topic explain that languages skill they are writing, reading and speaking. we know the languages skill are very important in the learning of a second languages if we are learning a second languages, we need practice the languages skill.
The languages skill are so important in the learning of second languages, when we use the direct method for learning a second languages we need to know about the languages skill.
the direct method is based in the communication and the learning might be more natural, and if we used readings, music, we use the languages skill.
http://books.google.com/books?id=tiwj-WABKh8C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false I love you

pat0o0tabares

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty psycholinguistics

Post  Estrada Mendoza Yazmin Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Psycholinguistics is responsible for studying the process of adquisiciion and learning a second language, is called the language acquisition as it occurs naturally and spontaneously and learning the L2.

Psycholinguistics is also responsible for studying the pathologies of language, its purpose also find out r as given the process of encoding and decoding language.

I imagine this process as a little machine in which enters the material, then it is processed and finally obtain a product, I belive that the psycholinguist try to explain that with the language

What do you think?

http://cvc.cervantes.es/ensenanza/biblioteca_ele/diccio_ele/diccionario/psicolinguistica.htm

Estrada Mendoza Yazmin

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty Krashen's Method

Post  Pichys Alonso Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:49 pm

mendez victor wrote:hello everyone
I like to mention the following:
the teory of the monitor as we know was developed by Krashen as one of his teories for to explain the forms of learning a second language. the monitor teory says that the acquisition and the lerning are used on the production of the second language where the learning is the monitor and the subject can analyze his mistakes

the link is the following
http://www.fchst.unlpam.edu.ar/iciels/164.pdf

Hi guys!!!.....
Well, about the Monitor Theory, it is said by Krashen that the purpose of this hypothesis is to edit or to make changes in what has already been produced, but in his method he manages 4 more hypothesis which are very important and they are together into the process of SLA,those hypothesis are "Acquisition-Learning Hypothesis" which talks about the differences between Acquisition and Learning, "Natural Order Hypothesis" which says that we acquire the rules of language in a predictable order, "Input Hypothesis" it says that if the input is comprehensibel and understood the necessary grammar is automatically provided, and "Affective Filter Hypothesis" which says that the Input may not be processed if the affective filter is “up”. In fact, this is Krashen's method.

Ref: Introducing Second Language Acquisition, Muriel Saville-Troike, Cambridge Introductions to Languages and Linguistics.
Pichys Alonso
Pichys Alonso

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty NATURAL APPROACH.

Post  Camacho Ana Edith Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:32 pm

HELLO EVERYONE.

In the last opinion I talked about the natural approach and in my point of view we need to follow the five steps for a good english learning. All read about that topic wich was very important bacause we need to know some theories about the second language.
In other hand, we need to use the five steps for a good communication and we always have a high affective filter, because a second language is not easy but we can learn with differents materials as the technology.
Goodbye.

Camacho Ana Edith

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty Direct Method

Post  myscene contreras Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:41 pm

Hellow everybody!! today I want talk us about the direct method, this is another important method for second language acquisition and it is based on the following principles:
Using only the target language.
• Teaching vocabulary and structures of everyday use.
• inductive teaching of grammar.
• Development of oral communication skills in a progressive and graduated through the exchange of questions and answers between teachers and students.
• Introduction of new oral teaching contents.
• Use demonstration, objects and drawings in the introduction of specific vocabulary, and the association of ideas in the introduction of abstract vocabulary.
• Teaching of expression and listening comprehension.
• Emphasis on pronunciation and grammar.
Was one of the first attempts to construct a methodology for language teaching based on observation of the process of language acquisition by children.

http://www.slideshare.net/ann83/expo-mtodo-directo
http://cvc.cervantes.es/ensenanza/biblioteca_ele/diccio_ele/diccionario/metododirecto.htm Laughing

myscene contreras

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty The natural method

Post  Nayely Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi Ana Edith, yes you have a reason but the coment was very basic for this reason I red more about this topic in your link and I discovered that in this theory we involved more Hypothesis very interesting like the adquisition Hypothesis, the monitor hypothesis, the natural order Hypotesis, the INPUT hypothesis and the affective filter hypothesis but in this coment I want to talk about only one theory which is what I like most: the affective filter Hypothesis because we nedd a good actitud in this learning, this we can provide the person with whom we learn, our colleagues and to ourselves the Theory says that emotional state or attitudes as an adjustable filter that freely passes, impedes, or blocks input necessary to acquisition. A low affective filter is desirable, since it impedes or blocks less of this necessary input. The hypothesis is built on research in second language acquisition, which has identified three kinds of affective or attitudinal variables related to second language acquisition. The three kinds of affective are Motivation, Self-confidence this I think that is the most important because with yuor good actitud in this learning we can developed our knowledge Embarassed and the Anxiety What a Face The Affective Filter Hypothesis states that acquirers with a low affective filter seek and receive more input, interact with confidence, and are more receptive to the input they receive. Well AnA and Prof HJavier this is my lecture and I´m traying to improve my comments.. thanks see you

Nayely

Back to top Go down

When and How did the Natural Method start? Empty Re: When and How did the Natural Method start?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next